100+ Combined Years Serving Clarksville
Experienced Clarksville Divorce Lawyer
Call (931) 361-4477 Today for a Free Initial Consultation
You meant it when you said you would make your marriage last. Now, you might just feel like another divorce statistic. In this difficult time, you shouldn’t feel like just another number. You need an experienced legal advocate who will invest in helping you secure positive results for your individual circumstances.
Do You Need a Divorce Lawyer?
A lot is at stake when it comes to divorce. Having an experienced attorney by your side can help make your divorce run more smoothly. This is particularly true when there is an existing problem with domestic violence or substance abuse. A good lawyer can help you cope with the situation and initiate a legal strategy that will protect your rights.
It’s also a good idea to hire legal representation if your spouse has already found a divorce lawyer to represent them. Securing an experienced lawyer is vital when children are involved. This is because resolving child custody issues can be a complex and stressful process for many couples. Our Clarksville divorce attorneys can help with your case today.
What Is the Divorce Process in Tennessee?
Most people aren’t quite sure what to expect from their divorce. From surprises to frustrating delays, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the overall process of getting a divorce. Although divorce can vary, the process is usually as follows:
- A lawyer drafts a petition for divorce.
- The lawyer files the petition with the court.
- The petition is served to the other spouse, along with a summons that requires the spouse's response.
- The served spouse must reply in the designated timeframe. If the party who has been served does not reply, the court generally will grant the party filing the divorce the terms they are seeking without the other party having a say so with the judge.
- Property and income documents are exchanged between spouses. This info is used to decide property distribution, child support, and alimony.
- If the parties do not reach an agreement, Tennessee law requires the parties to mediate their case before they can have a final hearing. Our attorneys are experts in the mediation process.
- If a settlement is reached between the two parties, then the agreement will be submitted to the judge and the divorce will be granted as an "uncontested divorce".
- If no agreement can be reached before, during or after mediation, the case will proceed to trial. At the trial, attorneys will present evidence and arguments for each side. The judge will then make a decision on issues like child custody, spousal support, and property division. Either party has the right to appeal the court's ruling on any term of the divorce to the Tennessee Court of Appeals.
A Client-Driven Approach to Provide the Divorce Support You Deserve
At Patton | Pittman, we can put more than 100+ years of collective experience and insight into your divorce case. We can protect your interests in a mediated divorce or skillfully assert your rights in trial, whatever it takes to help you and your children move forward to a stronger future. We can’t help you get there without taking the time to understand your situation, however. Our Clarksville divorce lawyers can tailor a strategy to your specific needs, delivering one-on-one service that gets results. One of our top-rated family law attorneys can help you navigate every step of your divorce.
Our Clarksville divorce law firm can help you with matters involving:
From start to finish, one of our experienced divorce attorneys will personally work with you and handle every aspect of your case. You will never be passed off to a paralegal or clerk who ends up doing the bulk of the work. With us, you can rest assured that a proven attorney is always the one working on your case, and the one who is always available to answer your questions and provide prompt advice. Nothing is more important for us and for your well-being than to deal with the issues that could keep you up at night. At Patton | Pittman, we are committed to protecting your rights and helping you find peace of mind. Find out how we can help you with your divorce today.
Let’s discuss your legal rights and your options in a divorce. Call (931) 361-4477 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.